Thanksgiving is almost upon us! For those who have been doing our Betr Clean Eats Challenge, you have done a fantastic job these last few weeks and worked so hard! Now it’s time to celebrate and enjoy holiday foods and festivities while following a few simple steps to help you stay on track.
Betr Thanksgiving Tips:
- SINGLE SERVE PORTIONS: We all love Thanksgiving classics like sweet potato or green bean casserole. Enjoy them, but keep your portions in control. Prepare single serving portions in small ramekins or muffin tins. You might not be the only one who appreciates this move!
- BUILD A PLATE WITH A PLAN: Focus your attention on protein and veggies. Lucky for us, the classic Thanksgiving traditions include tons of veggies. This is a great time for turkey and roasted veggies to be the star of the show! Stick to single servings or samples of the starchy foods (see Tip #1) to stay on track and eliminate that post-meal food coma.
- WATER: As always, water is important — but especially on a day like Thanksgiving. Hit your goal of half your body weight in ounces to not only stay hydrated, but also to help you digest foods you have not eaten in a while.
- EAT BEFORE: Don’t wait to eat. With a busy morning, full of family and preparations, it’s easy to forget to eat — or easy to eat everything along the way. Be proactive. Start your day with some protein like eggs with vegetables. Then maybe add a smoothie or a salad with plenty of raw veggies in early afternoon. You will be less hungry when you hit the table and less likely to fill up on appetizers.
- SWAP IT OUT: If you have a hard time limiting your portions on mashed potatoes, find a delicious and fiber-rich alternative like cauliflower. Add in garlic, skim milk, sea salt and pepper.
- PICK YOUR SUGAR: Between the alcohol and desserts there is an abundance of sugar, so pick your indulgence. A piece of pie or a cocktail. After your drink make yourself a mock-tail so you still feel like you are participating.
- STAY ACTIVE: Start your day with some exercise or encourage a family walk before or after your feast. You can even be part of the clean-up crew! Washing dishes and moving around the kitchen will help you to avoid the couch. Your loved ones will be grateful!
- OPT FOR HEALHIER OPTIONS: Any recipe can made into a healthier version. Browse our recipes for healthy options!